If you are a nonprofit or government agency providing legal services (or really any services) to marginalized or indigent populations, I want to help you!
Who I’ve Worked with
- Public defender offices of all sizes, large or small, with a wide variety of funding and compliance structures.
- Civil legal service providers, primarily connected to holistic criminal representation.
- National organizations working to improve criminal and juvenile justice, mostly as a trainer.
What Roles I’ve Had
- Project manager, for case-management-system development and improvement, among other things.
- Business analyst / systems analyst, for both tech and non-tech projects.
- Consultant, on things like organizational structure, tech strategy, etc.
- Lawyer, in a wide variety of postconviction and appellate criminal-defense cases.
- Executive Leadership at the Indigent Defense Research Association.
- Writer / researcher, primarily in technology policy.
What I Deliver
- Deployments of new technology, specifically case-management systems.
- Charts and documentation for data-migration plans to communicate needs to technical workers.
- Project plans for deployment of a new technology, including recommended stakeholders, required steps, time estimates, training plans, etc.
- Requirements documentation / collected user stories / scopes of work.
- Written data-collection plans, including standardized paper or electronic forms for users.
- Content outlines and project plans for knowledge-management tools, including intranet, brief banks, etc.
- Assessments of technology and process needs, and written plans to meet those needs.
- General assessment, analysis, and documentation (e.g. auditing activity types in a case-management system, documenting complex processes with flowcharts, etc.).
What Technologies I’ve Worked With
- Relational databases, primarily in their structure, plus some basic querying.
- Microsoft Excel, for data analysis and dashboards.
- Project-management technologies (Trello, Redmine, etc.)
- Google Suite and Microsoft Office 365, writing training materials, devising best practices, assisting with deployments, etc.
- Eager and able to learn new technologies and work with experts in new technologies.
General Things I Consult On
- I can observe, analyze, and document how you deliver your services to people who need them.
- I can help you improve the ways you deliver those services in a wide variety of ways, both technical (e.g. new case-management software or new processes for using that software) and non-technical (e.g. suggestions for changes to intake forms or admin staff protocols).
- I can lead your case-management-system project, whether it’s working with outside developers to design your own system, implementing an already-designed system, or improving your existing system.
- I can help you figure out what your existing data is telling you, and I can help you think through what new data you can collect, either through your own work or from other data sources.
- I can help you plan big process or technology changes, and I can help you message those changes to staff and stakeholders.
- I can help you think through your responsibility to the populations you work with, not only regarding accountability for how you do your work, but also regarding data privacy and security.
- I can help you connect with researchers and experts nation-wide as you consider new processes and technology. (e.g. the Indigent Defense Research Association)
- I can provide training on how to do some of this work internally. (an example)
- I can share my experience and expertise on a panel, in a training program, or in writing for publication. (more info)